You climb in a gym and you would also like to climb outside (top rope) safely? You want to become autonomous on real rock? This is for you!
What will you learn?
You'll learn everything you need to know to top rope safely on real rock!
- How to build top rope anchors
- The different types or anchors to use depending on the environment and the situation
- How to be safe at the top of the crag and get to hard to reach places (approach rope and rappelling)
- How to rappel the safe and right way (with a lanyard and prussik knot)
- How to clean up your anchor at the end of your climb
- What's the equipment needed to climb outside and what are the important characteristics
- The different knots you need to know
- How to identify and avoid danger at the crag
- How to belay when top roping outside (no friction turn)
- Climbing techniques specific to real-rock climbing
- And more...
WHERE DOES THE COURSE TAKE PLACE?
At the crag on Île Sainte-Hélène in Montreal. This site is recognized and maintained by the Quebec Federation (FQME). On request, I may give the course elsewhere (Eastern Townships, the Laurentians or Rigaud).
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
People who are already certified for top roping at an indoor climbing gym and now want to climb outside. After the course, participants will be able to climb at several spots throughout Quebec and elsewhere!
How long is the course?
It's a 12-hour training; a full day of 8 hours and a half day of 4 hours the next day.
How many participants will there be?
This is a private or semi-private course , so 1 or 2 people at a time. If you have a partner great! Otherwise, you can register alone, no problem!
WHAT ARE THE AVAILABILITIES?
Autonomy courses take place almost every weekend of the summer and fall. Contact me to reserve your spot!
What's the cost?
1 person: $145 + taxes
2 persons: $95 + taxes per person
DO I NEED EQUIPMENT?
Yes, you must have a minimum of equipment. The equipment you purchase for the course will serve you every time you climb outside ...
- A harness
- An ATC
- A rock climbing helmet
- Climbing shoes
- And a bit of additional equipment (a few carabiners and lengths of rope/cordelette). I'll send you a small list (expect about $ 50).